Genealogy & Local History
The Garner Public Library houses historical materials relating to Garner and Hancock County, as well as resources for genealogical research. If you need help using these materials or getting started with your research, stop in, call us, or contact us here.
- IAGenWeb Project: is part of the USGenWeb Project, a group of volunteers working together to provide Internet websites for genealogical research in every state and county in the United State.
- WorldGenWeb Project: a non-profit, volunteer based organization dedicated to providing genealogical and historical records and resources for world-wide access.
- Iowa Collection: Garner Public Library’s collection of books dealing specifically with Iowa history and citizens. Most of these items may be checked out.
- Genealogy Collection: Garner Public Library’s collection of books dealing specifically with Garner and Hancock County history and citizens, including many family histories. Most of these items may not be checked out.
- Scrapbooks: newspaper clippings covering the history of Garner and Hancock County.
- Census records for Hancock County, Iowa
- Garner and area newspapers from 1874-present
- Marriage, Divorce, Probate records
- Other assorted records